Monday, May 21, 2012

2012: Week 20: What To Expect When You're Expecting

What To Expect When You're Expecting

Genre: Drama, Comedy

Main Players: Cameron Diaz, Elizabeth Banks, Jennifer Lopez, Anna Kendrick, Brooklyn Decker (these are the main females, there are waaaay to many main players to list them all...)

General Gist:  Five interconnected couples are followed through the ups and downs of pregnancy and experiences of expecting a child.

Deb's Take:  This movie was another one of our many pre-screenings.  We are having so much fun!  We got to experience a movie at AMC Mainstreet regular theatre. (vs the Cinema Suites).  Very nice theatre, comfy chairs and a nice set-up of stadium seating. 

This movie had a lot key actors.  Both men and woman.  This was one of those movies that follows several (5) different couples yet they all are connected somehow.  I was a little surprised because the movie was actually quite different than I expected.  (kind of like having children!)  The previews really played up the comedy, funny aspect, but I didn't really feel like this movie was a comedy as much as a Drama.  There were funny parts for sure, but the whole meaning behind the film and the relationships dominated more than the comedy.  I did like that, as I do like drama, but I think the advertisements were trying to draw in the male audience, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were slightly disappointed.  I think this was a little bit more on the chick flick side.

I liked the acting, Elizabeth Banks has a great scene that many woman may be able to relate to, and I think the men all did well portraying life as fathers and fathers to be.  My favorite "relationship" was played by Anna Kendrick and Chace Crawford, however,  a few storylines hit on that sort of , roll your eyes, kind of dumb.  I liked the message the movie was sending...are we ever really ready to have kids?    Not bad for a pre-screening.

Deb's Rate: I waiver a little here....A good girls Friday night out, but a Matinee for you couples.

Tiff's Take:
I think I might be just a tad bit harsher with my review then Deb.  Like Deb, I felt like the previews were really playing up the comedy in this movie.  Going into the movie that's what I was expecting.  I left feeling like it was just so so.  There were more serious parts to this movie which I think would have worked really well with the funny parts but both were just a little lack luster.  The comedy could have been much funnier and the drama could have been more relatable.  I don't think I really felt a connection to many of the characters and their stories.  Also like Deb, I liked the relationship between Anna Kendrick's and Chace Crawford's characters the best.  They really had great chemistry.  On a side note, I have to say that every time I see Anna Kendrick in a movie I like her more and more.  I'm not sure what it is. 

Don't get me wrong, I thought this was a decent movie.  There were good laughs and even a time when I got teared up but this movie had so much more potential.  Unfortunately it left me a little disappointed. 

Tiff's Rate: Matinee

Preview: Might be struggling to find something this week.  Any suggestions??

No comments:

Post a Comment