Monday, May 7, 2012

2012: Week 18: The Five-Year Engagement

The Five-Year Engagement

Genre: Romantic Comedy

Main Players: Jason Segel, Emily Blunt, Chris Pratt, Alison Brie

General Gist:  A couple becomes engaged yet continually postpones their wedding due to unforeseen circumstances.

Tiff's Take:
This week's movie was one I was looking forward to.  Some weeks, like last one, we are struggling to find one to go to.  This week was a no brainer. 

I didn't really have any doubt that this would be a funny movie.  I wasn't disappointed.  Best of all, the previews didn't give you all the good parts.  There were so many funny scenes.  Scenes that made me cry I was laughing so hard.  Man, I love a good comedy.  I also love a good love story.  This was a decent love story but it definitely didn't match up to the comedy.  And that's okay.  It wasn't super intense or serious but enough to make it a believable relationship.

I thought the chemistry between Jason Segel and Emily Blunt was great as far as the comedy was concerned and decent as far as romance was concerned.  Pretty much like the movie in general.  There were some great supporting roles.  The sister and some of the coworkers really fed off each other well.  I agree with Deb that this would be a great date night movie.  A little romance and a lot of comedy.  It's also pretty sexually charged so keep that in mind when you pick your company.          

Tiff's Rate: Friday Night

Deb's Take:
I was looking forward to seeing this movie.  We have been seeing the previews for some time now and it looked like it was going to be pretty funny.  Jason Segal usually does a great job with comedy, and I like Emily Blunt.  This movie was not disappointing at all!  I loved the humor.  There were actually some moments when I got the giggles and even though the next scene was up I was still laughing from the scene before.  I think the humor was just a little "off" which is why I found it so entertaining.  I am weird that way.  I also liked how all the characters, not just the main players, played on each other and worked together.  I think the comedy was actually more of the highlight of the show, vs the romance part.

All that being said, it wasn't the "perfect" film for a couple of reasons.  It was a little long...I suppose depicting 5 years is going to be long, but there were some scenes that I felt were unnecessary and drawn out.  The comedy was good, the romance was slightly lacking.  The main characters did a good job of playing an engaged couple, but I am a sucker for the highest romance, and what can I say, after 5 years the romance is not so "intense", the relationship was more true to life then sappy story.  I do think it would be a pretty good "date night" movie.  Funny for the guys, without too much chic flicky stuff.

One other quick tid bit, Dakota Johnson plays in this film.  She looked so familiar to me.  She is actually the daughter of Melanie Griffith and Don Johnson...just a fun fact.

Deb's Rate: Friday Night

Preview: We have acquired some prizes for our next giveaway!  Be on the look out.

No comments:

Post a Comment