Monday, June 11, 2012

2012: Week 23: Snow White and the Huntsman

Snow White and the Huntsman

Genre: Action, Adventure, Drama

Main Players: Kristen Stewart, Chris Hemsworth, Charlize Theron

General Gist:  Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs with a twist.

Tiff's Take:
This week we saw another take on Snow White.  Mirror Mirror was another version that came out this year.  These two are so different you can't even compare them.  Mirror Mirror was more fanciful and fun and this one was not.  Even though it did have a definite magical aspect it was more serious.

I liked the idea of this version.  The more "real life" story behind Snow White.  But I just don't think it quite delivered.  I feel like it should have been better.  I would have liked more out of Stewart's Snow White character.  She hardly talked at all throughout the whole movie.  I also would have liked more out of Kristen Stewart herself.  I really want to like her but she just falls a little short in a lot of the things she does.  Chris Hemsworth and Charlize Theron on the other hand were fantastic.  Charlize Theron played evil perfectly.  And I've decided Chris Hemsworth is my new Brad Pitt.  I love him. 

So am I saying don't see it?  Not necessarily but don't expect to much out of it.  I know a lot of people are not fans of Kristen Stewart's acting.  If you are one of those people she will probably ruin the show for you.  (My dear sweet sister-in-law, if you are reading this I'm talking to you.)       

Tiff's Rate: Matinee 

Deb's Take: 
Mom surprised us with a visit this week so we got to see this movie with her and my 15 year old.  Always nice to have other people around and get their views too!

Well, I know I am in the minority of the 4 of us who attended this movie.  I really liked it!  I love fairy tales of course, although this one wasn't so much about the fairy tale.  This version of Snow White didn't focus so much on "true love" or the dwarfs.  The main storyline was more of a focus on the evil queen and the direct conflict with Snow White.  Charlize Theron plays the queen in the version.  Man, she was good.  I think she did an excellent job.  Chris Hemsworth is someone I have been seeing more and more lately, he did really good too!  Granted, I think he always plays sort of the tough guy, save the day, warrior type..but he is good at it.  Kristen Stewart was sort of the downfall of this movie, to me.  There is something about her looks, her demeanor that just didn't fit this role.  She always looks sort of scared and vulnerable, in this movie her character was suppose to be tough and a leader.  I just don't think she can pull that off real well. 

I enjoyed the action and adventure in this movie, and it seemed fast paced to me.  I liked this version.  Also, very well rated.  PG-13 appropriate.  It may not be a winner all around, but it was for me!

Deb's Rate:  Friday Night

Preview: A lot of vacation time coming up.  Hoping for a pre-screening in our future.

No comments:

Post a Comment