Wednesday, October 17, 2012

2012: Week 41: Looper

Looper

Genre: Action, Sci-Fi 

Main Players: Bruce Willis, Joseph Gorden-Levitt, Emily Blunt, Pierce Gagnon

General Gist: Futuristic movie about a hired assassin from the 2040's (called a Looper) who kills for the mob from the 2070's via time travel.  Things get complicated after he finds out he needs to kill his future self who doesn't want to be killed.  Confused yet??

Deb's Take: 
What an intriguing concept for a movie.  ( I am sure it’s been done before, and there is probably a book out there with this story too, but was new to me.) I am reading an awesome book series right now, “The Outlander” series by Diana Gabeldon.  The book is about time traveling (and a lot more!) and I am always fascinated with the concept.  Due to that fact, I was excited to see how they played out this movie with time travel.   Sometimes in movies time traveling gets too confusing certain scenes are “wrong” in that some little aspect is missed, making the time travel too questionable.  This movie seemed to avoid those two problems, generally speaking.  I enjoyed the way the plot played out.  I liked the chemistry of the characters, Bruce Willis and Joseph Gorden-Levitt seemed to have worked hard to become the same person, and Emily Blunt was likable and convincing.  I think I was most impressed with the son in this movie, played by Pierce Gagnon.  I tried to find his real age but only came up with 5-8.  He seemed on the younger side, yet I am always amazed at the talent of some children.  He also plays/played in a T.V. show and has been in a couple other movies, he was pretty darn good!  All in all the movie had good action, and the story line carried a cool “supernatural” air.   
We got to enjoy company again this week with my husband and my sister-in-law.  Movies just draw a family together!

Deb's Rate: Friday Night

Tiff's Take:    
So, trying to describe this movie does make it sound really confusing.  It really wasn't though.  There weren't a lot of hangups on the whole time travel concept.  It all made sense and seemed like it could really happen.  (But in only 60 years from now??  I'm not sure about that.)

Like Deb said, very interesting concept if not a little unnerving.  Why is it that movies (or books for that matter) portray the future as being so bleak?  Are we really that bad of a species?  I've been reading Lois Lowry's The Giver books so I have bleak future on my mind.

This really was a great sci-fi thriller if you're into that kind of thing.  It was a great concept, sort of intense and great acting by all.  Joseph Gorden-Levitt was fantastic and only annoyed me slightly by his Bruce Willis facial expressions.  One thing to keep in mind though was that it had a lot of blood and guts.  Be prepared and for the love of God don't take your kids to it.  (A facebook friend said they saw kids in the theater when they went.  Seriously people.) 

One thing I really liked about this movie was the unpredictability of it.  I wasn't sure how things were going to get resolved.  The storyline didn't fit this nice little mold.  I liked it.
Tiff's Rate: Friday Night 

Preview: We were thinking about seeing Argo but just got prescreening tickets for Cloud Atlas.  So I guess the free movie wins!

No comments:

Post a Comment