Friday, February 15, 2013

2013: Side Effects

Side Effects

Genre: Drama, Thriller

Main Players: Rooney Mara, Jude Law, Channing Tatum, Catherine Zeta-Jones

General Gist:  A woman's life falls to pieces when the side effects of her medication get the best of her.

Deb's Take: 
Fun little facts.  Rooney Mara's family is really big in the football NFL world. She earned her degree in international social policy and psychology.  Her older sister is also an actress.

The reason I looked her up is because she is sort of a freaky actress.  I first saw her in Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and now in this movie.  I don't know what I expected to find out about her personal life, maybe that she was a troubled teen who lived on the streets, under a bridge, until she was discovered by an agent who gave her a break and she still lives in a small studio apartment in downtown Detroit.  HA..look her up, that is so not her story!

Anyway, what I think that says about her, is that she is a pretty good actress, because I truly believed she was a very troubled individual in this movie (as well as Dragon Tattoo).  This movie was not what I expected.  In fact I had a coat ready in case I needed to hide my face.  Not that kind of movie.  The other thing, I sort of pride myself on being able to figure out the twists in a movie.  This one had me jumping around all over the place, up to the end I wasn't really sure what was going to happen.  Like I said, Rooney was good.  Jude Law was pretty good too, and Catherine Zeta-Jones really impressed me.  I am always a little surprised at her talents. 

All that being said, the movie wasn't bad.  I think it wove a good thriller weave of webs.  I can't say it was anything magnificent, but it was entertaining.  Not one that will rate up there with my top 10, but could have been worse!

Deb's Rate: Matinee

Tiff's Take:
I was excited about this movie because I LOVED Rooney Mara in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.  I thought she portrayed Lisbeth Salander perfectly.  And Lisbeth Salander is probably one of my favorite fictional characters so it makes it easy to like Rooney Mara too.  Following my logic?  I know, sometimes I have a hard time separating fiction and reality.   

Well, the previews for this leaves you very confused.  Who is the bad guy or good guy or what really happens?  At least that's how I felt watching them.  The movie almost leaves you just as confused until the very end.  And even then I think I'm still a little confused.  So does the good guy (and by guy I mean guy or girl-I don't want to spoil it) end up being the bad guy when it's all said and done?  I'm not an over thinker when it comes to my movie watching so I didn't sit and ponder it too long but this movie definitely keeps you on your toes.  Isn't that what makes these movies good? 

It was a really interesting story and the actors really played their parts well.  Especially Rooney and Jude.  Channing Tatum was just okay I guess.  His role was more minor then I thought it would be.  Honestly his part could have been played by anyone and it wouldn't have made much of a difference.  I still love Rooney Mara even if she seems to be drawn to slightly disturbing characters.  Maybe that's why I like her.  And when it comes to suspenseful thrillers, I think this one hit it right on the head. 

Tiff's Rate: Friday Night

No comments:

Post a Comment