Sunday, March 2, 2014

2014: Week 9: That Awkward Moment

That Awkward Moment

Genre:  Romantic Comedy

Main Players: Zac Efron, Miles Teller, Michael B. Jordan, Imogen Poots, Mackenzie Davis

General Gist: Three best friends and their dilemmas with relationships.

Deb's Take:
I needed this movie this week.  I needed to laugh and pretty much sink into a chicky flicky kind of mode.  The thing about this movie is that is wasn't necessarily a chick flick, it was about three college guy friends.  There is very little that is chick flicky about three guys.  However, this movie was about relationships, and love, and sex, and friendship and MY perfect combination of romance, comedy and seriousness.  Now by no means is this movie an Oscar type of show.  There is no deeper meaning, no hidden messages, just flat out relationship craziness.  In all actuality it's the "fairytale" portrayal that I liked.  Chase the girl, lose the girl, get the girl (although not completely).  The better part though is it cracked me up.  There was a scene that made me laugh so hard I almost peed my pants. It was crude, but I guess my humor runs a little on the dirty side at times.  I will never think of the word "cocktail" in quite the same way.

Now about the actors,  yes I am 42 but I still think Zac Efron is nice to look at.  Also, the chemistry between the three guy actors was so natural.  Not sure if they are really friends but they seemed pretty believable to me.  I also liked the chemistry between the couples.  I liked how the dynamics between each couple was different and  all seemed like plausible situations.  Another sort of hokey likeness in the movie were the cliches and puns.  I am a sucker for one liners be it serious or funny. 

If you happen to see this movie stay for the outtakes.  They are funnier than some of the scenes.  Oh, and another thing...not one naked woman, but a couple naked men..see, chick flick!  I say take a friend (like your sister) and enjoy some girl time, and really, I think a guy might enjoy some of the funny men situations, if for no other reason than the fact that they could probably relate to every situation.

Deb's Rate: Friday Night

Tiff's Take:
Another love story (sort of) for the third week in a row.  This one was more from the male perspective though.  Meaning a lot about sex and a lot of swearing and definitely funnier than the other two.  Seeing relationships from the male perspective can be refreshing.  And this was.  But.

There were a lot of one liners, which were funny, but it didn't seem like there were any real conversations.  It was a little too much for me.  I liked the chemistry between the couples but they didn't ever really talk to each other.  I don't know.  I just didn't get into the rhythm of the movie.

But as Deb said, there was one scene that was so funny we both were practically crying.  We sisters definitely like a good laugh.  That right there is enough to go to the movie.  But overall, for me, it was just okay.

Tiff's Rate: Matinee

Preview:  We'll be celebrating the older sister's birthday this week with a movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment