Wednesday, February 29, 2012

2012: Week 8: Chronicle

Chronicle

Genre: Sci-Fi, Drama

Main Players: Dane DeHaan, Alex Russell, Michael B. Jordan

General Gist: Three high school friends find this underground "thing" that gives them the power to move things with their minds. As their powers increase things start getting out of hand.

Tiff's Take:
We went out on a limb this week and decided to see something we normally wouldn't. Truth be told, since we went to the movies on a Wednesday we didn't have the option to see one of the new ones coming out this weekend. So this is what we decided on.

First I want to say that I don't think we fit the demographics that this movie was targeting. You might remember my review from 30 Minutes or Less. Same concept here. In the beginning of the movie the boys were using this new found power to do just stupid teenage boy things. Like move someones car to a different spot in a parking lot to mess with them. The other handful of people that were in the theater with us (who seemed to be teenage boys) thought these kind of pranks were hilarious. I mean hilarious. I get that I'm in my 30's now but really?

Anyway, so there was this whole sci-fi aspect with the special powers but then there was this boy who's sort of dorky trying to get by in a school with kids who are mean to him but then he makes them pay later kind of thing going on. You know, that classic story. And on top of it, it was suppose to seem like it was shot through the kids own handheld camera. Which may have given a little more interesting aspect of the movie but didn't quite get there.

So what I'm saying is this movie was just plain bizarre. I left the theater feeling weird.

Tiff's Rate: Don't Bother

Deb's Take:
I have to take the wrap for this movie. I picked it...and it wasn't a good choice. I totally agree with Tiff on this one. I think this type of movie must be somewhat of a new age, older teen/early 20 crowd kind of movie. I don't even really have much to say about it because it was that bad.
The concept may have made a good movie, it was sort of a super power type of movie, but turned into a kid gone mad who is out to ruin the world. The sad part is I think the movie was trying to make some sort of point about kids who get bullied and their vengence on the world. I felt like it supported a huge problem in our society of kids taking their anger into their own hands and turning on all their enemies. Maybe I just feel this way because I am a mother of children in their teen/tween ages. The whole thing just made me sad, and then eventually just went over the edge of reality and became stupid. Bad choice!

Deb's Rate: Don't bother

Preview: Prescreening of "21 Jump Street". Yes, we love free movies. Notice the picture on our facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment