Wednesday, March 14, 2012

2012: Week 10: A Thousand Words


A Thousand Words

Genre: Comedy, Drama (Do these two really go together?!)

Main Players: Eddie Murphy, Kerry Washington, Clark Duke, Cliff Curtis, Allison Janney

General Gist: A book editor and publisher is faced with a curse that allows him only 1000 words, and once 1000 words are spoken he will die.

Tiff's Take:
Hadn't heard of this movie?  I hadn't really either.  As Deb says, this was requested by my niece.  Not sure we would have gone to it otherwise but we're good mothers and aunts and we happily make these sacrifices for our kids.

I'll start out by saying I like Eddie Murphy okay.  He's not my favorite but I don't dislike him.  I'm definitely not drawn to his humor or anything.  I feel the same about this movie.  It was okay but it didn't wow me by any means.  It wasn't overly funny.  In fact I'm not sure I actually laughed at all through the movie.  Maybe more just smiles here and there.  Rather than being funny, it had a life lesson to share about the meaningful relationships in your life.  I thought it had a sweet story but more just surface stuff.  Nothing deep.   

I'm ready for a really good one.   

Tiff's Rate: Rent it

Deb's Take:
We saw this movie as a request of my 14 year old daughter. I have always liked Eddie Murphy's humor and I thought the idea behind the movie sounded pretty interesting so I figured we would give a try. This movie is advertised as a comedy, however, after seeing the movie I have to say it wasn't really so funny to me. I still would probably put it in the comedy category, but the whole idea behind the movie is teaching a lesson about life, finding what's important and appreciating that importance. Although I think this movie had a decent storyline, I wasn't really impressed with the depth of it. I think the development, of elementary and didn't really keep my attention. I can't say it was a bad movie, just nothing great.

Deb's Rate: Rent it

Preview: Our second giveaway for the year is in full swing! Don't forget to enter and be sure to send some friends our way!!!  Also, The Lorax bonus review.  On the docket for this weekend...Gone.  Whew, we've seen a lot of movies lately.  I guess that's the point!

No comments:

Post a Comment