Monday, April 30, 2012

2012: Week 17: The Cabin in the Woods

The Cabin In The Woods

Genre: Horror, Thriller

Main Players: Kristen Connolly, Chris Hemsworth, Anna Hutchison, Fran Kranz, Jesse Williams, Richard Jenkins, Bradley Whitford

General Gist: Five friends go on a weekend vacation to an isolated cabin in the woods.  They find some old hidden treasures in the cellar of the cabin and awaken a family of zombies. They then must attempt to escape to safety.

Deb's Take:
Well, as you may or may not notice, Tiff and I seldom go to horror/thriller movies.  Off the top of my head I can't think of one we have reviewed in the last year and a half.  We are big weenies when it comes to horror! We are the people sitting all couched down in their seats.   I have my shirt up over my mouth (for some reason that protects me...) and my eyes are squinted to the point of barely even being able to see the screen.  When I think of it though, it's not really the slasher type movies that freak me out. I hate the scenes that make you jump, but really it's more that I just don't enjoy that type of movie.  The movies that really freak me out are the ones with ghosts and spirits and such.  I watched "Poltergeist" as a kid and have never been the same!

So...we wanted to see "October Baby", but when we got there the projector was broke, (I need to interject here that planning a weekly movie is not always the easiest thing for us with our families and jobs and timing is an issue.  We had this one perfectly timed with pick-up times for the kids, dad's getting home at a certain time and babysitters...so we were bummed) the bright side was that since the projector was broke they told us we could go to any other movie for free. 

Anyway, about the movie.  I had no idea what this movie was about, simply because I never go to them so never even look at their story lines.  This movie was VERY different then I expected.  I really don't want to give the details away because it was so unique as a horror film.  There was sort of a sci-fi twist that I wasn't expecting.  All the typical scenes were in the movie, the stupid..."I am going out in the woods in the middle of night by myself" and "Let's split up so we have to fight alone".  But really this horror movie was actually made for those people who don't really like horror movies.  I jumped a few times, but really, I wasn't scared because of the way they played it all out.  The movie wasn't intended to be that kind of horror.  The actors were good, for all the necessary acting that is needed in a horror movie.  They all fit their parts well, and weren't too corny.

Deb's Rate:  Matinee( I say this mostly because I think the movie theatre environment would be better than your home, unless you have a cool home theatre room!)

Tiff's Take:
Well, an interesting turn of events and we end up at this movie and we survived to tell about it.  You know, I use to love watching scary movies.  In highschool and college I really enjoyed it.  These days, not so much.  I'm becoming more of a wimp in my old age.

I really didn't know exactly what this movie was about but it wasn't what I expected.  Don't get me wrong.  It was gory and made me jump and all that jazz but it had a little twist that was unique, at least I'm guessing, to horror films.  Actually, I thought it was pretty interesting.  It gave the movie a little more dimension.  That being said, I'm not sure it made the movie exceptional but it did take it to another level.

Nothing really to add about the actors.  Dido to what Deb said.  Funny fact though.  Anna Hutchison who plays the "slutty" girl looked so familiar to me as I was watching the movie but I could not put my finger on where I'd seen her before.  Turns out she was the yellow power ranger in Power Ranger Jungle Fury.  Thanks to our son, my husband and I know that series all to well.  It's left me scarred seeing a power ranger take her shirt off.      

Tiff's Rate: Rent it.  Unless you're really into horror movies then it's worth a Matinee.

Preview: It seems to be about time for another giveaway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment