Tuesday, February 11, 2014

2014: Week 6: Lone Survivor

Lone Survivor

Genre: Biography, Action, Drama

Main Players: Mark Wahlberg, Taylor Kitsch, Emile Hirsch, Ben Foster

General Gist: The true story of four Navy SEALs on a mission in Afghanistan

Deb's Take: 
This movie is another movie that is also a book.  I didn't get to read the book before I watched the movie, my husband did and said the book was quite an amazing story.  Following the movie he mentioned that there were some "emotions" that he felt were lost in the movie that the book captured.  The movie and book both brought tears to his eyes, my husband cries infrequently.  (A small snip-it from another source.)

This movie was outstanding.  I think the story was probably why the movie was so good, but to take this story and allow you to really feel like you are in the middle of this mission was accomplished.  I think the actors did magnificent, however, I think kudos must go to the writer and director, Peter Berg.  The movie was intense, the stunts were phenomenal, and the emotions were surreal.  I think a movie like this makes people like me,  unpolitical and quite sheltered, open my eyes and heart.  I am also so grateful that there are cultures in the world like the Pashtun culture. 

Thank you to the men and women who serve.  Thank you to their families for loving them and letting them go, and thank you to those who fight and return and share their stories of bravery, lose a part of themselves and sacrifice for someone else.  Go see this movie, it will make you appreciate your life.

Deb's Rate: Opening Night

Tiff's Take:
I got to see this movie with my husband too.  This was one of the few ones he was looking forward to see.  For someone who doesn't go to movies very often, this was a good one for him to go to.  He was not disappointed.

I didn't read this book either but my dad was reading it over Thanksgiving and could not put it down so I'm sure it's well worth the read.  However, this movie was not lacking anything in my mind.  I didn't feel like I was missing parts that were in the book that maybe didn't make it to the screen.  I'm sure there were but this movie was just so good that it didn't matter.

With the title, you have an idea that maybe only one person is going to make it out.  That did not take away from the story or progression though.  This was such an intense, white knuckle kind of movie.  I don't think I breathed until it was over.  And so very well done and acted. 

This is the kind of movie that reminds us "normal" folks what it takes to protect our country and what people sacrifice for it and us.  Man am I thankful for those people.  I left this movie feeling very patriotic and proud of all the people who serve in the military.  This movie pulls those feelings right out of you.

Tiff's Rate: Opening Night

Preview:  We have a couple options for this week.  Possibly a love story for Valentine's Day or an Oscar nominated one we didn't see last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment