Monday, February 24, 2014

2014: Week 8: Endless Love

Endless Love

Genre: Drama, Romance

Main Players: Alex Pettyfer, Gabriella Wilde, Bruce Greenwood, Joely Richardson

General Gist: The love story of a girl and boy who fall in love the summer after high school, and a father who doesn't believe in their romance.

Deb's Take: 
All I could think about while watching this movies was.."This is like a Taylor Swift song put into a 2 hour production".  That being said, I guess it depends on your opinion of Taylor Swift and her songs.  This movie was definitely a high school, "Footloose", "Dirty Dancing" for this generation type of movie.  Although, it won't be iconic like those movies from the 80's. 

This movie is all about young love.  I did get the feel of that desperate, young, first love.  The storyline was pretty black and white, two young lovers, a father who thinks the boy isn't good enough for his daughter, a mother who fights to make the father realize young love is real, etc. etc...You know, like a Taylor Swift song.  Now don't get me wrong, I am a Taylor Swift song lover.  I like young love, I love the emotion, the passion, the newness.  This movie didn't really do it for me though.  All the main characters played their parts well.  It's just that it played too much like an after school special (am I dating myself there?).  I think it was trying to be like "Footloose" or "Dirty Dancing", but it missed the mark by a long shot.   I guess all I can say is it was sweet, but lacking.

Deb's Rate: Rent it

Tiff's Take:
We saw Winter's Tale right before this movie and that was sort of disappointing as far as love stories go.  So I was hoping that this one would be a little better although to be honest I didn't really have any high hopes.  But I think it exceeded my expectations (however low they may have started).

This movie was completely predictable and we've seen a variation of it a hundred times.  There were also things about it that just didn't seem likely.  However, the chemistry that was lacking from last week's movie was not lacking in this one.  I felt the emotions a lot more.  And I was more drawn into this relationship.  Sure it seemed a little immature but I'm a sucker for young love.

By no means did I think this movie was fantastic but I also didn't hate it.  But I do love Taylor Swift songs so there you go.    
           
Tiff's Rate: Matinee

Preview: Bonus review for The Lego Movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment