Tuesday, February 18, 2014

2014: Week 7: Winter's Tale

Winter's Tale

Genre: Drama

Main Players: Colin Farrell, Jessica Brown Findlay, Russell Crowe, Jennifer Connelly, Will Smith, William Hurt

General Gist: A man thinks he finds his destiny only to become immortal in search of his true destiny.  (yes it's sort of confusing)

Tiff's Take:
So this is why Lady Sybil left Downton Abbey.  I have to say, I miss her on the show.  She was one of my favorite characters.  But I'm glad she's broadening her horizon.  However, if I'm going to be honest here I think she should have stuck to Downton Abbey.  Don't get me wrong, I thought she did well in this movie but I don't think this movie helped her out in any way.

When I saw the preview for this, I thought it would be a delightful chick flick.  I was hoping for a great love story.  Extra fluffy and heart wrenching.  The kind my husband would rather die than see.  But it wasn't exactly that for me.  First of all, I don't think there was much chemistry between Findlay and Farrell.  I really didn't believe the "love at first sight" business between them.  I didn't love Colin Farrell in this and I really didn't love his haircut.  Russell Crowe's character was a little strange and threw a little twist in the seemingly normal love story.  Not sure I loved him either.

Besides the actors and the acting, the concept behind the story could have worked but I felt like it just wasn't executed well.  It seemed to outlandish when it could have been more believable if done right.  I will say though there were a few really touching moments that surprised me.  So much so that I teared up.  But it just wasn't enough to make it a great movie for me.  Mediocre at best.              

Tiff's Rate: Rent It

Deb's Take:  
I'm with Tiff on this one.  I was really thinking that this movie was going to be a perfect sort of love story.  I was disappointed. The concept was great!  Then they added a mystical flying horse, an immortal gangster, and Lucifer.  The mix just was wrong. I either like real or fantasy, I don't like a mix.

I do like Findlay and Farrell in this.  I like love stories, I just wish this one would have had a more real feel.  I don't think any of the actors did exceptional, and I think any liking of the characters was mostly because I liked the actors themselves.  This was definitely one of those movies that I was hyped to see and then was disappointed I went.  I'm itching for a good love story so hope I find something soon!

Deb's Rate: Rent It

Preview:  Going to an Oscar rating movie.  Not sure which one though

No comments:

Post a Comment