Friday, January 7, 2011

Week 2: Country Strong

Call me the sappy, soap opera, bon bon queen. This movie reminded me again of my tendencies toward relationship sagas of america. I often feel if I was driven only by my Id I would be the mother sitting at home in my oversized pj's, eating peanut M&M's, watching the soap operas unfold into tangled relationships of make believe. I know they aren't real, but I find myself getting caught up in the impossible relationships. I fall into the industries wonderful trap. So..this film satisfied my desire for the tangled relationship web.

I have decided that one of the funnest parts of writing a review after I go to a movie is I feel compelled to look up the actors history and am intrigued by their "true" life. SO....on to the movie

I was surprisingly impressed with Gwyneth Paltrow's performance. I do like her as an actress, but was a little skeptical of her ability to portray a country singer. So she was no Shania Twain, but she did a good job. I forget how impressed I am with her dramatic appearances, and I did like her honest feel of struggle with who she thought she was and who she wanted to be.

Tim McGraw has impressed me since he started into acting some years back. I thought he did a great job in this movie. He does tend to play similar roles, in each movie...father, husband, solid character, but I like what he does, it seems honest.

Garrett Hedlund and Leighton Meester fit their parts well. Garrett's deep voice was definately a solid country voice. Garrett played the strong, silent, mysterious character that I am drawn to. Not to mention he has a killer smile..what a charmer. Leighton as a young country star wanna be nothing too special but fit the part. She had a nice voice too, kinda Taylor Swifty

I am also a fan of movies that have music, so this one was a bonus. The songs were definately the story telling kind.

My favorite quote from the movie "Don't be afraid to fall in love, it's the only thing that matters in life"

Bottom line: Nothing to intense, sappy love story, satisfied my obsession with relationships.

1 comment: