Wednesday, August 15, 2012

2012: Week 32: Hope Springs

Hope Springs

Genre: Comedy, Drama

Main Players: Meryl Streep, Tommy Lee Jones, Steve Carell

General Gist: A couple, married 30 years, attends a week long counseling get-a-way in hopes of reviving their marriage.

Deb's Take: 
We had it all planned to see Moonrise Kingdom, then we got a  pre-screening invite to “Hope Springs” and decided free is better, (as was the whole timing of the movie) so we ended up at this movie.  I had wanted to see it anyway and it was a pre-release, I like them the best. 
This movie was not necessarily exactly what I thought it was going to be.  I knew the storyline, but for some reason I thought it was going to be funnier.  Even a bad marriage can be funny right?  Well, this movie was much more about the passage of time and what effects it can have on a marriage.  This movie was much more geared towards an older crowd, their marriage was at the 30 year mark, mine is only at 18.  I do know after seeing this movie I really hope my marriage isn’t anything like theirs, but I always find that I am a great “learn by observation” type of gal so I will take this as a lesson.
As far as the acting… Meryl Streep only gets better with age.  I am not a big Tommy Lee Jones fan, yet he did well in this movie.  I think it was his part that was convincing more than his acting though.  Steve Carell was surpising good in a little more serious role.  Really his role was minimal compared to the other two, but good none the less.
I enjoyed the venue a lot and would recommend a stop at the Armour Theatre in the Northland if you ever get a chance to go

Deb's Rate: Matinee

Tiff's Take:
Like Deb said, this movie was more on the serious side.  There were some funny parts but generally speaking it was more of a drama than comedy.  For me, this worked just fine.  I'm not sure I was expecting as much comedy as Deb so it seemed to fit my expectations.

Even though I was a minority in the theater (the average age was probably closer to 50), I have to say I really enjoyed this movie.  Sure it dealt with issues that I can't necessarily relate to at my age but I still appreciated it.  I liked how honest it was and how vulnerable the characters were.  And speaking of characters, Meryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones were fantastic.  I was very pleasantly surprised with Steve Carell beings that he didn't have really any funny parts and he played it perfectly.  (Unlike his role in Seeking a Friend...in which I did not enjoy.) 

I do have to ask one question though.  Is there really ever a guy who does not want to have sex?  I mean really.     

Tiff's Rate: Friday Night

Preview: Winner of the Giveaway to be announced.  And a bonus review.

No comments:

Post a Comment