Monday, August 6, 2012

2012: Week 31: Diary of a Wimpy Kids: Dog Days

Diary Of A Wimpy Kid: Dog Days

Genre: Family, Comedy

Main Players: Zachary Gordon, Robert Capron, Steve Zahn, Peyton List

General Gist: Third movie of this great book series!  This one is about "The Wimpy Kid's" summer.

Deb's Take:
Well, we took the whole gang this week. My family has seen the two prior so we were excited for this one.   The story lines always seem to hit home with each member of our family.  This movie was even more “real.”  I guess the ages of the characters sort of fell in line a little more closely with my kids (the two oldest at least.)  The parents’ characters were pretty hilarious too!  My husband and I laughed quite a lot during this movie, and shared moments of knowing smiles and nods.  All the characters did well,  I will say that the main character, Zachary Gordon, looked a little too old for a 7th grader though.  He is 14 in real life, so not too off, but for some reason I wasn’t convinced.   I think this movie was just a great family show to laugh and enjoy.  My three kids of 9, 12, 15 seemed to enjoy it.  I will be curious what Tiff says her kids thought.  Much younger crowd to please there. 
Deb's Rate: Matinee -Great family time

Tiff's Take:
I couldn't help but draw similarities between this movie and Judy Moody and the Not So Bummer Summer.  My kids for whatever reason really got into that movie so I've seen it at least a bazillion times.  Both story lines are about a kid in their tweens trying to figure out what to do during summer.  I have to say that this movie wasn't nearly as enjoyable.  At least from a parent's perspective.  It was funny but I didn't think it was hilarious by any means.  And I just didn't think it was as interesting.  Also, since my kids are younger (4 and 7) I was very aware of how much they were enjoying it.  My 7 year old said he liked it but my 4 year old started to get restless towards the end.  I don't really think this movie is intended for a 4 year old audience but mine absolutely loves Judy Moody so I thought this might work.   

I really wish I had seen the first two movies.  I see the advertisements for them and think they look hilarious but it's not really something I would go rent for my own benefit.  I'm not sure if seeing them would change the way I felt about this movie.  Most likely it would but as a stand alone movie I wasn't overly impressed.  When we got out of the movie my husband said, "Judy Moody was way better."  Ha. We watch too many kids movies!  

Tiff's Rate: Rent It

Preview: Going to see Moonrise Kingdom.  Not really advertised much.  We'll see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment