Wednesday, August 22, 2012

2012: Week 33: Sparkle

Sparkle

Genre:  Drama

Main Players: Whitney Houston, Jordin Sparks, Derek Luke, Carmen Ejogo

General Gist: Three sisters work to form a girl singing group in the 1960's.

Deb's Take:
This movie wasn’t really advertised much.  I had seen a few previews, but had sort of forgot about it until we started looking for a movie for the week.  I was intrigued mostly because it was Whitney Houston’s last project before her death.  I have always really adored Whitney Houston for her amazing singing voice.  I know she has had a rough go of it over the last decade, and I was really hoping to see something amazing in her honor. 
The movie itself was sort of disjointed to me.  The story line jumped around a lot without great character development.  I know the family was suppose to be a messed up group of woman, but beyond that dysfunction, the flow of the movie was off.  I never really felt like there was a beginning and middle, mostly just an end.  I did enjoy the singing, some amazing singers! Unfortunately, I think Whitney’s hard life destroyed her amazing gift and it was sad to hear how all her hardship changed her singing voice.  I also got the feeling that we were sort of watching Whitney’s life on screen even though the story was portrayed through her characters' daughter.

The movie wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t great.  A tribute, in a way , to an amazing singer.
Deb's Rate: Matinee

Tiff's Take:
So another movie with a music theme.  It's generally a miss for me when it comes to these but I will admit there have been a few hits.  This one was not one of the few hits. 

The music itself was good with amazing singers but the storyline wasn't well thought out.  I felt like there were actually three different movies all mashed into one.  The only "story" I thought was decent was about the last 45 minutes.  And even then it wasn't an original story that deserved much praise.  I think this was Jordin Sparks' debut movie.  Her acting seemed safe and a little blah.  The other two who played her sisters were much more compelling but again the story didn't quite fit.  And unfortunately Whitney Houston looked a little rough.  Not her most spectacular last performance on the big screen. 

One more music movie bites the dust.   
    
Tiff's Rate: Rent It

Preview: We have a couple bonus reviews to get up.  Really, we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment