Monday, December 3, 2012

2012: Bonus Review: Skyfall


Skyfall

Genre: Action, Adventure, Crime

Main Players: Daniel Craig, Judy Dench, Javier Bardem, Naomie Harris

General Gist: Bond….James Bond

Deb's Take:  
I am not the James Bond fanatic in my home, my husband is, and even more then he, is my brother-in-law.  So, of course this movie was about our men.  We did the whole AMC Cinema Suites, couples night out, babysitter (thanks Kayla) generally, all out for this one.  Gotta love the whole movie experience now a days!

So, really, how could this movie go wrong?  Well, after some discussion with my trusty Bond expert (husband) I have found that it COULD have gone wrong.  I mean, not anyone can play Bond correctly, but Daniel Craig CAN and DID!  Even I could see (with my inexperienced Bond eyes), that he is good!  Now, I have seen some Bond movies, and I agree, I think Daniel Craig was a good pick when they were looking for their next Bond some time back.  Of course, there was the whole “who was your favorite Bond” conversation, and all were in agreement that Craig does exceptional.  This movie will not disappoint, and will most likely be spot on for all those Bond fans.   I did really enjoy this movie.  I liked the action, the stunts, the interactions between the characters, and the progression of the relationships.  I am sure some of the true “Bond” references were lost on me, but my husband enlightened me on some of the little idiosyncrasies.   Great action, Great suspense, Great Night all around.   

Deb's Rate: Friday Night—only because I am not a “true” fan.

Tiff's Take:
I was really looking forward to this movie.  To say I'm a huge Daniel Craig fan would be an understatement.  Ever since I saw him in his first Bond movie I was hooked.  Best Bond yet in my mind.  Let's not worry about the fact that I've only seen Craig and Brosnan Bond movies in full.  I tried to watch Live and Let Die with Russ and it was a little painful.  I'm definitely not a Bond die hard.  However, I do enjoy the newer ones a lot. 

From a purely female perspective (and DC lover) this movie was great.  I enjoyed ever bit of it.  Russ, the major Bond aficionado, thought it was great as well but...it was different.  He tried to explain to me why it was different from all the other ones.  Here's what I got from it. 
  • There wasn't as much action/car chases or enough cool new cars.  I noticed that too but it didn't bother me.  I don't live for car chases like Russ does.  
  • There weren't as many cool gadgets either.  Again, didn't really bother me.
  • He wasn't in a tux as much.  He was a little grittier in this one.  Not quite so smooth.
  • This one told more about his personal life.  I guess Bond is usually more of a mystery?  This was one reason why I liked it so well.  But I'm a girl and we like to know what makes men tick.
So even though Russ thought it wasn't your typical Bond movie he really enjoyed it as well.  Definite hit for us.

Tiff's Rate: Opening Night

Preview:  Some more pre-screenings coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment