Monday, December 3, 2012

2012: Week 47: Lincoln


Lincoln

Genre: Drama, Biography, History

Main Players: Daniel Day Lewis, Sally Field, David Strathairn, Tommy Lee Jones

General Gist: The story of Lincoln’s struggle to emancipate the slaves, during the civil war. 

Deb's Take: 
I am one of the least political person’s out there.  I think I have mentioned this before.  That being said, the first half of the movie was a little slow for me, I didn’t enjoy all the political bantering, games and negotiations.  I know it was all a recounting of our history, and I think that is what kept me interested.  I really was impressed with Daniel Day Lewis and his portrayal of Lincoln.  I will guess that a lot of research was done about Lincoln’s personality, and I feel like the personality came through loud and clear.  The movie was most impressive in that it covers a very short period of time, yet captures an amazing pivotal historical event, and the days around that event.  What a burden that man took on, and what a strategic way of bringing the events into play.  I did feel the acting in this movie was exceptional.  I always like Sally Field, and Tommy Lee Jones was different in this role, not as convincing as some, but good. 

I think this movie would be most suited for those people who love history, love politics and love biographies.  I am not necessarily this type of person, but the greatness of this movie was not lost on me, I know it was exceptional and give it credit, even though it wasn’t my favorite..many of you will love it!

Deb's Rate: Matinee for me, but Friday night for most

Tiff's Take:
This movie was very different from what I expected.  I thought it was more of a war movie but it was so not.  It was really about passing (is that the right term?) the 13th amendment.  It just so happens it was around war time.  So needless to say, this was not an action packed movie.  Yes, it was long and a little slow.  Yes, my dad may or may not have fallen asleep during it.  BUT, it was very interesting.  At least to me.  I'm always surprised to find that political stuff really does interest me more than I think.   

I felt like this movie really captured the behind the scenes of what may have been going on way back then.  It was fascinating to see Lincoln's personality portrayed.  What an amazing individual?!  Daniel Day Lewis totally nailed it.  As Deb said, if you're a history buff you'll probably really enjoy this.  If you're looking for action this isn't your movie. 

Tiff's Rate: Hmm...Matinee or Friday Night.  Why not, Friday Night.

Preview:  More to come as we catch up!

No comments:

Post a Comment