Thursday, January 16, 2014

2014: Bonus: The Nut Job

The Nut Job

Genre: Animation, Comedy

Main Players: Voices of : Brendan Fraser, Katherine Heigl, Liam Neeson, Will Arnett

General Gist:  A group of squirrels venture to the city in an attempt to save their park animal friends' community from starving over the lack of nuts saved for the winter.

Tiff's Take:
My kids were excited to see this movie and we decided to make a family event out of it which is always fun.  I usually don't mind going to kids movie.  I tend to enjoy them for the most part as much as the kids.  This one, however, was not one of those movies.

I'll start by saying, we just got a new kitten and it's a little like having a new baby.  We haven't been getting real good sleep lately so I was, well, a little sleepy.  A kids movie should wake you up and keep your attention, right?  Folks, I seriously couldn't keep my eyes open during this movie.  I thought about blaming it on the kitten but I think this one was just that boring.  The characters weren't real dynamic, the story line was weak and it just wasn't that funny.  Kids movies are suppose to be funny.  What gives?  You would think with the actors involved in this that it would be better but it just wasn't.  As an adult I definitely would not recommend this one.

My kids on the other hand said they liked it.  But I think if they get popcorn and treats they'll like anything.

Tiff's Rate: Rent It - Only for the kids' sake.

Deb's Take:  
I was excited to get pre-screening tickets to this movie because it was at a new theatre that hadn't done screenings before.  I was also excited because for kids movies they usually give 4 passes, allowing more of my family members to attend.  This time I took my son and one of his friends as well as meeting up with Tiff's family.

I usually am a fan of kid's movies.  I like how the writer's often throw in humor for the adults.  The kids get hung up on the natural laughs, (burps, farts, falls) while the parents get some of the more adult aimed jokes.  This movie was so unimpressive.  For the amount of children in the theatre, I would expect tons of laughs, giggles and excited voices.  I think I only remember two moments of laughs, from anyone.  The movie was boring.  The story line was ok, but there was a sub story line that was unnecessary.  (my son even said he thought it was a weird sub story).  There was very little humor, the story lines were weak, it was slow and boring, and  I actually was having a hard time staying awake.  From a kid's perspective, my 13 year old and his friend said it was ok, but they really just liked that fact that they got to go to a movie.  This was one movie I could have lived without seeing.

Deb's Rate: Don't bother

Preview:  Another Pre-Screening!!  Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit

No comments:

Post a Comment