Wednesday, January 8, 2014

2014: Week 1: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Genre: Fantasy, Adventure

Main Players: Martin Freeman, Ian McKellen, Richard Armitage, Orlando Bloom, Evangeline Lilly

General Gist: The second in the trilogy. A Hobbit and a gang of dwarfs continue their journey to reclaim their home from a Dragon.

Deb's Take:
I looked back at my review for the first Hobbit movie (week 50 in 2012.)  After reading my review I'm thinking two things, 1.) Wow, I can tell I had been doing reviews for a while because I am extremely out of practice for writing like that! 2.) I think I must have liked the first one better.

As I've said many times before, this movie genre is not my favorite.  After seeing the first one though I felt like I need to finish the whole trilogy or it's a job left undone.  This movie was good.  My husband and son both thought it was much better than the first.  I think it was comparable.  This movie had a lot more adventure and action then the first one.  The characters took on more personality and life.  I found some of the characters more endearing and there was a little romance for my soulful side.  I feel like this one fell more into the "Hollywood" category as it worked to capture the audience with bling and fire.  The actors did wonderful, and I feel everyone fits their parts perfectly.  Again, I am just not so much a fan of these movies so I'm a little biased in my lack of enthusiasm. Like I said the first time, if you are a Hobbit fan you will probably love it!


Deb's Rate: Its a renter for me, but if you are a fan Friday Night.

Tiff's Take:
I read my review for the last Hobbit as well and I have to say that I feel pretty much the same about this one.  I didn't have a huge desire to see this movie but I didn't not want to see it either.  I've seen all the other movies so it seems like I need to keep going.  For being so unenthusiastic about going, I was pleasantly surprised.  As always with these movies.

I really did enjoy this once I started watching it.  It kept me engaged and didn't feel super long even though it sort of was.  The only bad thing is I felt totally confused about what was going on.  Apparently I remember even less then last time.  But even in my state of ignorance I didn't feel like it was a waste of my time.  Also, it was a major bonus seeing Orlando Bloom.  It's been awhile!  Oh, and another bonus.  It's super fun saying the word Smaug.  

Tiff's Rate:  Matinee for me.

Preview: Week 2: "Her"

No comments:

Post a Comment