Thursday, November 17, 2011

Week 46: J. Edgar

We went and saw J. Edgar for week 46.  My father-in-law really wanted us to go see this one for obvious reasons being a former FBI agent and all.  He actually saw it the night it came out and was curious what my take would be.  His take wasn't very good.  I haven't had a chance to talk to him about it yet though.

First of all I should mention that if I didn't marry into the family I did I probably wouldn't be able to tell you who J. Edgar Hoover was.  That's the sad truth when it comes to my knowledge of certain US history.  I get ridiculed on a daily basis from my husband.  Can I confess something else?  Even though I have been apprised of who J. Edgar Hoover is I wouldn't bet my life on the fact that I could have told you who it was if I was put on the spot.  I'm just being honest here. 

That being said, I really had no idea what to expect with this movie.  I had no prejudices one way or the other.  Because of this I will say I was completely shocked with the turn of events.  Obviously, this is someones opinion of J. Edgar Hoover so you really don't know what is fact or fiction but wow.  This was one colorful guy.

This movie portrayed Hoover as ruthless, egotistical, paranoid, a mama's boy (almost to the point of creepy) and gay.  I had no idea.  I can't say this movie really gave an opinion one way or the other about the FBI in general.  It was more about Hoover as a person.  And I wouldn't say it was the most flattering depiction.  Leonardo DiCaprio played Hoover and he was fantastic.  I heard there was Oscar talk for his role.  I think it would be well deserved.  Judi Dench played his mom, Naomi Watts his secretary and Armie Hammer as his "second in command".  All did great. This movie was sort of dark and creepy but I would recommend it.   

To Sum it up: Well done, well acted and very fascinating.   

No comments:

Post a Comment