Thursday, November 17, 2011

Week 46: J Edgar

This week we were slightly influenced by Tiff's father-in-law and decided to got see J Edgar. Not much explaining to do...a movie about someone's version of his life.

My ignorance of politics, government and the like came forward again as I watched the movie, mostly because I didn't realize the extensive influence he had on so many different areas, the card catalog systems, finger printing, FBI development...all very interested and intriguing.

J Edgar was played by Leonardo DiCaprio. I like the way movies keep the actors in the same role for a full length of life, the make-up artists are amazing. DiCaprio did a good job in this role, I think the hardest part was J Edgar was portrayed very oddly. He came across as slighly mental. Maybe he really was that way, but I never would have guessed it based on his accomplishments.

His "partner" and second hand man was played by Armie Hammer, again, watching him age over the years is pretty amazing.

I don't feel like I can say too much about the movie itself without giving away the details (that apparently a lot of people already knew, I just didn't) The actors were extremely believable, the story was pretty intriging, and the make-up was impressive. Hoover's character was sort of creepy though. Whether or not his character was accurately depicted I am not sure, but if it is, he was a "different" sort of man, but then of course many people say the "brilliant" people of the world are the closest to the craziest.

Overall decent movie, not necessarily my cup of tea, but good.

See you in a few!

No comments:

Post a Comment