Wednesday, July 25, 2012

2012: Week 29: Safety Not Guaranteed

Safety Not Guaranteed

Genre: Drama

Main Players:  Aubrey Plaza, Jake M Johnson, Karan Soni, Mark Duplass

General Gist:  A man places an ad looking for someone to time travel with him.  A magazine employee and two interns go on assignment to investigate.

Tiff's Take:
This was sort of a weird, quirky little movie.  But I have to say I enjoyed it.  The main character, played by Aubrey Plaza, is someone who has never really fit in and it trying to find her place in life.  I thought her character was great because she was funny yet awkward yet sincere.  Actually, that's a great way to describe the whole movie itself. 

The concept of the movie was a tad bizarre but it all worked.  You follow this journey of four people who are looking for something they are missing in their lives.  The interaction between the relationships was interesting even if you didn't really like the people or relationships.  Mark Duplass' character was the oddest of all.  Through the whole movie you're trying to figure out what his deal is.  I'm not sure you really get a good answer at the end but it all seems right.  I'll warn you, if you're someone who likes everything wrapped up in a nice little package then this movie might just drive you crazy.  But for me it was good. 

Tiff's Rate: Friday Night

Deb's Take: 
We had a friend join us this week for the movie.  Thanks for coming Chris!  Let us know what you thought of the movie!!  This movie held some interesting characters.  The whole movie was a little on the odd side, but I felt like the characters were made to be odd and pulled it off well.  I really enjoyed Aubrey Plaza and her character, I would like to see her in her "Parks and Recreation" as I hear her "dead -pan" style makes the show.  I think it did in this movie was well.  Really, all the characters were sort of humorous in their own way.  It was an off sort of humor, but good. 

I think the thing I didn't like about the movie was the ending.  I liked how all the relationships built up, I liked the interactions that took place, I liked the acting...I just didn't like the ending.  Call me a non-believer, maybe that was the problem, I am one of those people who like my movies wrapped up at the end, like Tiff mentioned.  I am on the fence though, it was good until the last 5 minutes.  SO..as my rate says, I am on the border.
Deb's Rate: Matinee bordering on Friday Night

Preview: "Step up Revolution" is on the books for my dancing daughter

No comments:

Post a Comment