Tuesday, July 31, 2012

2012: Week 30: Step Up Revolution

Step Up Revolution

Genre: Drama, Romance

Main Players:  Kathryn McCormick, Ryan Guzman, Peter Gallagher

General Gist: The daughter of a wealthy developer wants to be a professional dancer much to her father's demise.  She meets a local boy who's neighborhood is in jeopardy because of her father.  Dancing ensues. 

Tiff's Take:
We chose this movie because my eldest niece begged us to take her to it.  Okay, she didn't beg.  She asked nicely and we said sure, why not.  I mean who doesn't love a good dancing movie?

First, I want to preface my review by giving you a few facts about myself.
  • Me and my family are addicted to watching So You Think You Can Dance (or SYTYCD as they say).  My husband, my kids, all of us.  Seriously.  We love it.
  • I have not seen Step Up 2 or 3 and it's questionable whether I've seen the first one all the way through.  I just don't remember.
  • Unlike Musicals, I enjoy a good dance.  Just leave out the singing and I dig it.
Whether these little tidbits are relevant to my review is up to you.  Let's continue.

The dancing in this movie was really cool.  I'm mean so cool.  A lot of the choreographers and dancers were ones from SYTYCD.  The main girl, Kathryn McCormick, was from SYTYCD so this was her first acting debut.  She did pretty good for being a dancer.  The actual story line was well...did I mention this movie had great dancing?  Okay, so the story didn't do anything for me.  The relationships were a little weak.  You know, it's okay though.  The dancing was entertainment enough and isn't that really why you would go to this movie in the first place?  

Tiff's Rate: Matinee

Deb's Take: 
As Tiff mentioned, my oldest couldn't wait for this movie to come out and go watch. My oldest is a dancer, a good one..  I grew up with my mother who loves to dance.  I remember sporadically my mom just turning on music and breaking out in dance.  She still loves to dance and has passed the passion down. 

This movie was extremely entertaining, and utterly amazing.  I can not believe how good people can dance.  I am amazed at what the human body is capable of doing.  This movie really had some awesome dancers.  I think the thing that amazed me the most though, was that the main male character, Ryan Guzman, was actually a MMA fighter in the past.  I wonder where he learned to dance?  I watched Kathryn McCormick on SYTYCD and it was cool to see her act in this movie.  She too is  a great dancer.

The movie itself was pretty good.  The acting was nothing amazing, the story line was a basic movie plot and simplistic, but I think the movie wasn't meant to be noticed for it's acting as much for it's dancing.  I loved how they "mobbed" the city.  If you like dancing this is a winner.
Deb's Rate: Friday night....a must see on the big screen.

Preview: I guess we better get that popcorn giveaway like we promised huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment