Monday, May 12, 2014

2014: Week 17: The Other Woman

The Other Woman

Genre:  Romantic Comedy

Main Players:  Cameron Diaz, Leslie Mann, Kate Upton, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau

General Gist:  A wife finds that her husband is having an affair and soon befriends his lover, only to find there is another lover.  The three woman plot to beat him at his own game.

Deb's Take:   
I like Leslie Mann a lot.  She's quirky, and odd and funny to me.  She makes me laugh and I enjoy watching her act.  I tend to not be a fan of Cameron Diaz.  I'm not sure why, but she just has never been impressive to me.  That being said, this movie was just okay for me.  I thought it was funny, in parts, but I think the story was weak.  The movie didn't have a lot of deep connections, the friendships were surface, at best, and the whole "must get revenge" was sort of out there.  By the end of the movie I think the writer was grasping for straws. I think it sort of fell apart and was just thrown together for closure.  Also, the movie wasn't really what I would call a "romantic" comedy.  It made me laugh, but didn't hold a lot of substance.   It wasn't awful, but I think watching it at home with a glass of wine and your BFF would be fine.

Deb's Rate:  Rent it 

Tiff's Take: 

I guess I'm just a tad bit more forgiving with this one then Deb.  Although not by much.  I like Leslie Mann too.  She's really funny and she made me laugh a lot in this movie.  I generally do like Cameron Diaz but in this she was just okay.  I haven't seen her in a movie in a while it seems.  She seems more harsh in her features than she used to be.  I guess that's not necessarily bad but she seems a little different as an actress.  Not sure it makes me like her better though.  So back to the movie.  There were some really funny parts but it was a little out there.  And yes, it seemed to lose track along the way.  But generally the chemistry between the actresses were good.  I have to say though I wasn't very impressed at all with Nikolaj Coster-Waldau.  Especially with the funnier parts.  He didn't work well for me at all.

So just okay.  Some funny parts but not quite all there.
Tiff's Rate: Matinee


Preview:  Draft Day

No comments:

Post a Comment