Wednesday, May 21, 2014

2014: Week 20: Moms' Night Out

Moms' Night Out

Genre: Comedy

Main Players: Sarah Drew, Sean Austin, Patricia Heaton, Logan White


General Gist:  Three moms attempt to enjoy a much needed night out.



Deb's Take:  

I have really been wanting to see a good comedy.  I was so disappointed last week with Neighbors that I didn't think I could go wrong this week. Well, this movie was not as stupid, but it was pretty boring.  I liked the premise, and as a mom thought for sure the humor would be relatable.  It wasn't AT ALL.  I think where the movie went all wrong for me, was it's discombobulation of scenes.  The beginning made me think of "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" with screen pop ups and self narration, then it jumped to a scene from "Footloose" with the church mom's meeting, and finally "Adventures in Babysitting" with a mad dash around the city looking for people and places and everything just falling apart.  The whole story was pretty unbelievable, and more importantly I wasn't really sold on the message that was sent.  YES, I am a mother and know that my kids are wonderful, are the best thing that could have ever happened to me, and I love them to death...but a night out is a good thing, and deciding to have a night out will not be a mess OR place you in the category of loser mom. 

As far as the acting, mediocre at best.  I wasn't impressed with anyone, and I was quite bored at one point.  So bored I got up and went to the bathroom just to "step out" for a few minutes.  Now that is sad, because I never step out of a movie unless I am on the verge of bladder overload and explosion. I think the most exciting part of the movie was the little battle going on between the audience members over some unnecessary noise levels.  Pretty sad movie night...

Deb's Rate: Rent it leaning on Don't bother

Tiff's Take:
Ugh!  This movie was just awful.  I thought Neighbors was bad but this one totally beat it out.  In the worst possible way.  It was supposed to be a comedy but I literally didn't laugh at any of it.  I mean at all.  Other than being completely boring, it had a horrible message.  At least in my eyes, and I guess Deb's too.  So is the message really supposed to be that if you're frustrated with motherhood and try to get a one night break you'll be punished by not only having a bad time where everything goes wrong but that you'll realize you should have never stepped outside your house away from your kids?  Really?  I was almost offended by it.  And I'm never offended by anything.

Aside from the awful writing, the characters were oddly mixed and had no chemistry in any way.  Really bad choice all around.      

Tiff's Rate: A big Don't Bother for me.
Preview: Hopefully something worth watching!

No comments:

Post a Comment