Sunday, February 6, 2011

Week 6: The Company Men

This week's movie was pretty thought provoking. The movie followed the life of 3 men in Boston who lose their jobs during the start of the recession in 2008. Ben Affleck, Tommy Lee Jones and Chris Cooper play the 3 main men. All very fitting to their roles. I am a true lover of Ben Affleck and he did a really good job in this movie. In fact, all three men did great in bringing me to the point where I felt I could really "feel" what they were going through. I like that kind of a movie! (as you all know by now). Craig T Nelson, although in the villian role, did a good job...I like him! and Kevin Costner, although only a small role, added to a very strong and powerful cast.

I think what I liked the most about this movie was that it got me really thinking about the recession and all the people who were really hit hard. I have been fortunate enough to be in the health care field, and haven't really felt the hardship so many in the higher level business world have felt. I also felt I got a good sense of what a man who must provide for his family must feel like, especially at an older age, when the thing he has worked for his whole life is pulled out from under his feet. I found that I was pretty disgusted with the whole high exect, CEO big billion dollar company leaders. I agreed with the lesson...yes we like to live that lifestyle, but can we do with less to protect some of those below us...my lesson from the movie.

Although the movie was kind of slow moving, I did find I was captured by the characters and storylines. It was depressing. Sad to think some benefit from others misfortunes, even when they worked just as hard to get where they are.

I was pleased with the ending, put a positive flair on it all! Made me feel hopeful that people are generally good, and that what really matters is family, and friends.

All in all, well written and played. I liked the cast, it was kind of slow, but I enjoyed it none the less.

Have a good week! Let us know what movies you are seeing so we can give them a try as well!!

No comments:

Post a Comment