Sunday, November 11, 2012

2012: Week 43: The Sessions

The Sessions

Genre: Drama, Romance 

Main Players: Helen Hunt, John Hawkes, William H Macy

General Gist: A young man who has been disabled since a young boy, seeks the help of a sexual surrogate to experience sex for the first time.

Deb's Take: 
I was a little surprised at how many older adults there were in this movie.  It was a pre-screening, and I am wondering if it targeted the “senior” population for some reason, because Tiff, my cousin Leslie and I were some of the youngest people in there..(except of course the looney who brought her 4 and 10 year old children, seriously people!  It’s a movie about a sexual surrogate, you think the R rating means nothing? Let them see it in their own home where they can ask questions or something!) 

Anyway, the movie was ok.  I say OK because the whole scenario was set up, characters were just “sort of” developed, and I hated how the ending hit you smack in the face and was anti-climatic in nature.  The movie felt like it wanted to go so much deeper, there was emotions and relationships, but they were all so "unfinished" and choppy.  That being said, I liked the story.  I had no clue what to expect as I have never really thought about a sexual surrogate.  I am actually sort of surprised I haven’t though, considering I am an Occupational Therapist and have worked with many clients who are paralyzed. I have often answered  personal questions about sexual activity and educated patients in options when disabilities are involved. If nothing else, the movie gave me a new perspective of sex and my belief of what is appropriate and what isn’t.

The acting?  Helen Hunt was great, wish I looked like her in my birthday suit, John Hawkes was amazing..what a hard role and character to play! And William H Macy was a funny little addition to the mix.  I think this movie is a good one to ponder and think about, especially if you are in the therapy world, can’t say it was amazing though.

Deb's Rate: Rent It


Tiff's Take:
I guess I thought this was a little better than what Deb thought.  I didn't get too hung up on the character development but it did just sort of throw you into the lives of the people rather than building up background.  The whole idea was interesting though.  And based on a true story so that made it even more interesting.  Who knew there was such a thing as a sex surrogate?!  Sort of a weird concept if you ask me. 

The acting was really good.  I hadn't seen Helen Hunt in anything for a long time.  I really like her.  And I seem to always like William H Macy in anything.  John Hawkes looked like a completely different person.  It was really amazing. 

Yeah, the ending was sort of abrupt and the relationship between Hawkes and Hunt's characters sort of left you wanting more but all in all it was a good movie.  Not great but worth seeing. (And as Deb pointed out, don't bring your small children to this.  Really not appropriate in any way.  Thanks.)

Tiff's Rate: Matinee

Preview:  We're way backed up on our reviews but we have some good ones coming up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment