Wednesday, January 2, 2013

2012: Week 50: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Genre: Fantasy, Adventure

Main Players: Martin Freeman, Ian McKellen, Richard Armitage, Cate Blanchett

General Gist: A Hobbit and a gang of dwarfs (along with a wizard and warrior) go on a journey to reclaim their home from a Dragon.

Deb's Take:
I am not a Lord of the Rings fan.  I can't say I dislike it, just am not a fan.  I know I saw some of movies when they were out, but quite honestly don't remember them.  This movie, being a prequel, may have just helped me a little with the whole enjoyment of Lord of the Rings.  I like things in order. I like to know the background stories, the ins and outs, the before and afters, EVERYTHING.  I am a big picture kind of girl.  This story sort of just set the stage for me to now go and watch the Lord of the Rings movies.  I am not much of a  fantasy movie type, but this movie was good.  I really felt like the characters were picked and played well.  Martin Freeman (Bilbo) and Ian Mckellen (Gandalf)  were my favorites, but really, there wasn't a bad apple in the bunch.   Ok, so I almost forgot about the character Gollum.  WOW, after that scene I felt like nothing could be as crazy as Gollum.  Kudos to Andy Serkis for playing crazy like no other crazy I have seen.

More impressive was the scenery and landscape, as well as the visual production.  The movie was a prescreening ( meaning to us?  FREE) and it was in 3D (added bonus).  The special effects, the color, the picture itself was amazing.  I think I liked some of the screen shots better than the movie.  I also loved the costumes and make-up.  Actually, what can be done with film now a days is pretty amazing.  (I just watched an old movie..."The Holiday" with Bing Crosby and Fred Estaire, something to be said for the good old black and white, but really amazing to think what movies have become in such a short time)

Anyway, if you are a Fantasy, Hobbit fan, I think you will love it!

Deb's Rate: Good enough for Opening Night if you are a fan, I could take it as a Matinee.

Tiff's Take: 
Although I wouldn't call myself a die hard Lord of the Rings fan I really do enjoy them.  To be honest though I wasn't thinking I would like this as well as I did.  Not that I thought it would be bad but I wasn't overly excited to see it.  I remember the other movies being good but long.  And it's been a loooong time since I've read the book.  So long ago that I couldn't really tell you how the movie was bad, good, different or the same compared to the book.  

That being said, I really enjoyed this movie.  It was long but it didn't feel like it dragged on.  I enjoyed the characters, the action, all of it.  Since it had been such a long time since I'd read the book it was like I was seeing the story for the first time.  But did the movie end where the book did??  I feel like maybe they'll be another movie but honestly I have no clue.  Regardless, it was definitely one to see.             

Tiff's Rate: Friday Night 

Preview: Week 51 coming up!

No comments:

Post a Comment