Thursday, September 29, 2011

Week 39: Moneyball

Running a little behind on the reviews this week! As Tiff mentioned, we say "Moneyball" from a free screening this week, and also a sneak peek at a preview for "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo".

I am a pretty big "sports movie" person. I like the thrill of competition and the whole build up of characters to a final win, so I thought this movie would be pretty good, and it was...however, I feel like I was somewhat underappreciate of the whole story line. Not that I don't appreciate the game of baseball, trading and drafting, but rather that I don't really understand all the statistics of the game, and in actuality don't really care to learn that much detail.

This movie was based on a true story about Billy Beane, played by Brad Pitt, and his work to use an age old stategy to draft a baseball team and lead them to a higher level of play and wins. (in a small...very small nutshell)

This movie was entertaining to me. I think Brad Pitt did okay, I don't think he is a great actor or anything, the story was more interesting to me than his acting. What I was more impressed with was all the supporting actors. Jonah Hill did a great job as the right hand man. He was were most of the laughs came from. Some of the actors who played the baseball players in this movie did a good job as well. I think what I found though, was that they were good, because they really just seemed like a group of baseball players. Nothing outstanding, but just sports men.

I was intrigued with the way this whole story portrayed a change in baseball, and how it influenced baseball. I am still completely amazed at the constant trading, bargaining and playing that happens with the sports world.

Overall, I have to say that this movie would be best watched by all those sports fanatics. If I can enjoy it with my little knowledge of baseball and all it's strategy...someone with a lot of knowledge will definately be happy they went.

See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment