Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Week 37: The Debt

We were all set to see Moneyball last weekend for a free screening but they were having "loading" issues so we couldn't see it.  I won't even pretend to know what that means.  As we were hanging our heads in disappointment we realized that we could still see another one.  Even if it wasn't free.  So that's just what we did.  We were able to boogie into The Debt minutes before it started.  Talk about preparing yourself to see one kind of movie then ending up seeing something completely opposite. 

The Debt was a spy thriller that goes between the past and present of three characters.  As Deb said, the main characters were played by Jessica Chastain, Marton Csokas and Sam Worthington as the younger characters and Helen Mirren, Tom Wilkinson and Ciaran Hinds as their older counterparts.  All did an exceptional job especially Helen Mirren.  She was fantastic.  Actually, Jessica Chastain did a pretty good job too.  And I just looked her up and she was the one who played Celia in The Help.  Wow.  I would have never guessed it was the same person.  I guess that means she's doing her job.  The men were good but I felt they were in more supporting roles.  That's a change.

Even though this was a spy thriller I would say it was more thriller than spy to me.  In spy movies you tend to have a lot of action and gadgets.  And there was but it had a little more suspense aspect to it.  There were at least two or three times where I had to squint my eyes to avoid seeing something full on that I knew would make me jump.  I'm such a wimp.

Although I'm sure this movie was a lot more intense than Moneyball would have been I'm glad we saw it.  Very well done.

To Sum it up:  Interesting plot, well acted and a few jump in your seat moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment