Saturday, July 16, 2011

Week 29: Super 8

This week was Super 8.  I have been curious about this movie for awhile but it kept being pushed aside.  This week we didn't seem to have a lot of choices so we finally decided to go.  (And yes, I realize Harry Potter comes out this weekend and it's sort of a big deal.  Since my sister's not a huge fan I'll be seeing it on Monday with my good friend Cory who is.  I'm beyond excited to say the least.  Look for a bonus review.)

Like I said, this movie peaked my interest from the start but I wasn't really sure if it would be too out there to really like.  To be honest I liked it better than I thought I would.  Just like Deb said it reminded me of Stand By Me right away but with a Sci Fi twist.  It had a group of kids getting into trouble and dealing with things they probably shouldn't at their age.  It reminded me a little bit of Goonies too.  The Sci Fi aspect of the movie was okay but the part I liked so much about it was the humor.  The boys were really funny and made me laugh out loud. 

The main actor was played by Joel Courtney.  He was really good.  He had a sweet, sincere quality about him.  Elle Fanning was good as well.  I agree with Deb.  You can tell acting runs in her family.  I didn't recognize any of the other boys but they made the movie.  It wouldn't have been funny without them.  And I do like Kyle Chandler who played the dad. 

This movie was definitely better than expected.  It's nice when those come along.

To Sum it up: Good humor, really great characters and a surprising hit.

No comments:

Post a Comment