Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Week 35: "One Day"

I was super excited to see this movie. All the previews made me think this was going to be a super romantic, make you fall in love again type of movie. I was gravely disappointed. So the movie trailers make you think you are going to a movie where there are two friends, played by Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess, who have this super lover/friend connection, and on the same day each year they get together to "bond"...or something like that. Well, that wasn't the case. These two friends were just that, two friends, with questionable feelings towards each other, who were in communication all the time, and never seemed to become the couple they both secretly wanted to become.

The story line could have made a wonderful movie...However, I felt like I was sitting in a movie, that was made from a book, that I didn't read and so I was missing too many details. The connection of friendship, lovers, enemies ect. just never was strong. I think the book probably had a lot of inner thoughts, which can't be portrayed on film, making the movie disconnected and lost.

I was totally bummed...I thought I was going to get to see a movie I could fall emotionally into. Instead I left feeling disjointed and disappointed.

I would say...read the book and hope it's better than the movie. Next review: The Warrior, we have free screening passes to this tomorrow night, yah! A free movie!!

2 comments:

  1. I read the book last year and enjoyed it. But I was a little surprised to see that the movie trailers and posters were implying that this was a romantic comedy because it's definitely not a romantic comedy or really a very "romantic" story.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know that I could read the book now...I am guessing it's pretty depressing!

    ReplyDelete